Life Amidst the Pandemic

   As I am writing this many of us are quarantined in our homes, hoping to protect our loved ones from catching this awful COVID-19 virus that has shut down the country. In my young life and 11 years of education, I have never seen or experienced anything like this, nor did I ever fathom that I would. In my wildest dreams I could not have ever predicted such a nightmare to occur, yet here we are in the midst of it.
18 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Santa Barbara County   As I look back on my last day with my students Friday, March 13th (fitting it was Friday 13th), I remember thinking that there may come a time when we would postpone school due to the virus. I never thought it would have been so drastic. In the last minutes before walking them out the door, I put out packets for them to take, in the case we were not back the following Monday. Spring break was just around the corner, so I figured we would push through until Spring Break and then the district would examine the situation further. Needless to say that was the last time I have seen my 4th graders. 
   What am I doing with all free time? you may ask. Well, I am just living the "Dream" that ever teacher hopes for. Summer Break came early!!! I spend my days sleeping in until 10, get up make some eggs for breakfast, read a book and then take a nap. You know a typical summer for a teacher! Yeah right! If you couldn't tell that was a loaded with sarcasm.
   First off, I have three children of my own a 5, 3 and newborn, so I don't get any free time, not even in the bathroom. I try to wake up at least an hour before they do so I can get some work done. This may be figuring out what we are going to do with the kids that day, emailing students/families, checking on students or trying to plan and prepare for this new way of teaching we are creating/designing as we are living it. It's like building the airplane in the air, while we are flying it. My kids wake up and I make them breakfast and try to keep them on a routine as much as possible. I try to plan some lesson ahead of time for my own kids so they stay up on their school work too. It also helps a lot with the structure of our day as well. In between them doing their work, I am on video chats with teachers and administrators trying to figure out what we are going to do and how this is going to look/work. After I put my kids to bed I am back by the computer getting caught up on emails and again trying to figure this new way of learning out. 
How the coronavirus could impact women in health care   You may be wondering, where is his wife? That would be a terrific question. You see while most of America is suppose to be practicing social distancing and self quarantine, my wife is a nurse who still has to go to work and expose herself to the possible risk of contracting the virus or even possibly bringing it home to her family. So, as I am trying to care for my three children, restructure education for my 4th graders, I'm also concerned every time my wife walks out the door to go to work. As sad as it is, I also worry when she walks back in the door.  
    This week was suppose to be my districts Spring Break. We did not have any big plans because our 5 year old was suppose to have his tonsils out, but it got rescheduled because of everything going on. Not a day has gone by that I have not done school work. I constantly think about my students and I have connected with many of them. Then, I start to wonder what about the students I haven't heard from? Are they doing OK? Do they have what they need? So to say this is Spring Break, this by no means has been any kind of break. 
I'm married to a teacher. I barely see him and he barely sees our ...    I know these are trying times for many individuals and families. I know many people are overwhelmed with everything going on in our country and the world right now. I am not posting this for you to feel sorry for me. I'm posting this to let you know that teachers are not just sitting around enjoying their time off. We are trying to take care of our families at home, while also spending countless hours thinking/worrying about our students and their families and trying to stay connected to them. We are spending numerous hours a day figuring out how we can make this the best learning experience for our students. Stay sane, stay safe and stay healthy!

Lesson: "To live will be an awfully big adventure," Peter Pan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Incident "Black Out"

Learning with Legos

Golden Shower