Bed Frame Makeover

RUST-OLEUM Chalked "Linen White"
Since my wife and I have been together we have only had a queen size bed. Recently, we decided to upgrade to a king bed. My brother had a king sleigh bed frame that was just sitting in his basement. He told us we could have it if we wanted it. My wife told me the only way she would take it, was if he would let us refinish it. So, needless to say we were off on our next project!

Materials:

First coat
Last weekend we went to our local hardware store to get some chalk paint. If you have never used it, chalk paint is pretty amazing! You start right away by painting without the need to sand the previous finish off. We ended up choosing Rust-Oleum Chalked "Linen White" from our local hardware store and the wax finish to go with it. Both together tend to run around $50. The only other things we needed for the project was a paint brush and sandpaper

After the second coat
We started by making room in our basement and laying the headboard on top of a table. I am not going to lie my wife did all of painting,while I was entertaining the kids. Once we had a spot large enough to paint, the only thing left was to start painting. After my wife put the first coat on she turned and said, "I think this is going to take at least three or four coats!"
Finished Painting
She spent the next day doing coat after coat! When it was all said and done she applied four coats of paint. After she finished painting, she took a fine grit sanding sponge and sanded random edges of the frame. This tends to give it a rustic look and adds character to it. She then took a piece of an old t-shirt to apply the wax. You do not have to put the wax on, but it gives it a little protection, a shine and smoother finish. In the end, I love how it turned out and think it was worth the effort to refinish it!


The final Product

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Incident "Black Out"

Favorite Sound

How to Keep Toddlers Occupied on Road Trips?