Gamification "Theme"


Once I figured out what system I would use, the next step is to settle on a Theme. If you have not chosen a system yet, check out my earlier blog, "What System?" The Theme is a very important part of the gamification process because this is going to be the background or back story that your game follows. Theme can be one of the harder aspects to settle on because of its importance, but it can also be one of the most satisfying. Once you make a decisions on your Theme, other aspects start falling into place.

What is Theme

The Theme is the background story of what your game is going to be based on. It is the continually running story in the background of your gamified classroom that all the other aspects (badges, gold pieces, XP) are tied in to. Your Theme can change for each unit or it can be a year long Theme.

How to choose a Theme

Theme can be one of the harder mechanics of gamifying your classroom because of its importance. On the other hand, you may have particular interest and know exactly what you want your Theme to be. It varies for each person and each game.

You want to pick a Theme that is something you have a passion about, are familiar with and can possibly fit in to your content. Start by making a list of things you are passionate about. Once you have your list, think about if any of those things could be your Theme. It should be something you have a passion for because it will drive all the other gaming mechanics (badges, gold pieces, XP). If you are not passionate about your Theme, it is going to seem like a chore gamifying your classroom. Also, if you are not passionate about it the students will pick up on that.
Now that you have your list, which one of those can you apply to the classroom? Narrow it down until you have your top choice. It's a bonus if you can tie your Theme into your curriculum as well, but not necessary. Whatever your Theme is, it will drive the decisions you make towards creating badges, worlds, levels, characters, item cards etc... So choose wisely my friends!

How I chose my Theme 

One day, when I had a little time at the end of a class period, I explained to the class what I wanted to do
Students baking at "Pioneer Days"
and where I was headed with gamifying math class. I then put it on the students, after all they are the ones that would be playing the game. I want them to play a game they are interested in and have buy in from them as well.

One of the big events that happen in 4th grade is "Pioneer Days." All the students can borrow an outfit from the local historical society and dress in pioneer clothes. They spend two days and we walk down to the community building and hold classes in a one room building, just like in Pioneer school. We teach them candle dipping, weaving, pioneer toys, and they even help make their own lunch! We also teach math and reading lessons with little chalkboards. We have parent volunteers, guest speakers within the community that volunteer their time to come in and talk to students about different pioneer topics. It is a great way to bring community into the school and make a connection. It is a pretty amazing couple of days!

Bulletin board in my room 
Why "Pioneer Days" is important is because when having the conversation with my students, one of them brought up, Pioneers. This got us on the topic of the "Gold Rush" out west. Then led to westward expansion, which got me thinking about the game "The Oregon Trail!" I had a love/ hate relationship with the game growing up. I hated it because I could never beat it, but loved the challenge of it. So, after talking with my students, I had my Theme "The Oregon Trail!" Now I have a system to align with my Theme and it's just matter of figuring out the other gaming mechanics that I needed to align with my Theme. I will cover these mechanics in upcoming blogs! Stay Tuned

Lesson: When choosing a Theme make sure it is something you are passionate and knowledgeable about. This will make creating your gamification room fun and exciting!
Explore Like a Pirate

Good video on choosing a Theme and getting your game started, by author of "Explore Like a Pirate" Michael Matera!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Incident "Black Out"

Favorite Sound

How to Keep Toddlers Occupied on Road Trips?